Vata and Pitta must consume cooked lauki or bottle gourd. If you are kapha use thermogenic spices like ginger, cayenne or drink the lauki or bottle gourd juice for weight loss.
About bottle gourd/lau/lauki:
This South Asian squash is indeed bottle shaped, light green and long. The flesh inside is spongy and you can also cut it into small pieces and make a curry out of it. Bottle gourd or lauki is over 90% water therefore it is easy to digest.
Bottle gourd – Calorie content
- 100 g of bottle gourd contains 15 calories.
- 100 g for edible portion contains 1 g fat. Its water content is 96%.
- It is low in saturated fat, cholesterol, high in dietary fibre, Vitamin C, riboflavin, zinc, thiamine, iron, magnesium and manganese.
Ayurvedic health benefits of bottle gourd/lau/ lauki:
- Ayurveda recommends cooked lauki or bottle gourd for better digestion. It is cooling, calming, diuretic and anti-bilious.
- Like cranberries, bottle gourd or lauki supports the urinary system of our body by reducing burning sensation from high acidic urination. It also reduces the chances of urinary infection because it is alkalizing and has a diuretic effect.
- It contains many vitamins and minerals, such as, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, Vitamin A, C and folate.
- It is extremely popular for weight loss. Especially the bottle gourd or lauki juice.
- Bottle gourd is extremely popular for reducing high blood pressure and keeping your heart healthy/
Lauki or bottle gourd is known to combat excessive thirst in diabetic patients.
- The fiber and the minerals in the bottle gourd or lauki supports healthy digestion and combats flatulence and combats constipation.
- In Ayurveda it is also know to prevent premature greying.
- Lauki or bottle gourd juice with a pinch of sea salt maintains the electrolyte balance in the body. This is also a great remedy for people who has diarrhea.
- Bottle gourd is recommended by Ayurvedic doctors for reducing liver inflammation.
How to prepare Lauki Juice:
Following steps will teach you how to prepare Lauki Juice:
- First what you need to do is cut off a piece from the end and taste it. It is better not to use a lauki that tastes bitter.
- Then peel off off the entire skin from the lauki and cut it into pieces. Blend those pieces in a blender.
- Add black pepper and salt according to taste. Adding mint leaves can also enhance the taste.
- You can also add some pieces of lemon to make the lauki juice taste better and rich in antioxidants.
- It is not advisable to mix other vegetables with Lauki juice, as it might have a more negative affect on your health.